Monday, February 3, 2014

One Ring Phone Scam - Possibly Happening Locally...

Better Business Bureau warns of 'one ring' phone scam from Caribbean Islands

PITTSBURGH —While most Pittsburghers probably wouldn’t mind a trip to the Caribbean to avoid the cold winter months, most of them probably weren’t expecting phone calls from the islands that the Better Business Bureau warns are part of a "one ring" scam.

“They're using autodialers to call thousands and thousands of our cellphones. And they let it ring once, and then when the consumers goes to look to see who called, some that may be pretty curious may call that number back and automatically you’re going to be charged an additional $30 on your phone bill,” said the BBB’s Warren King.

VIDEO: BBB warns of 'one ring' phone scam from Caribbean Islands

The calls cost $20 up front and $9 for each additional minute.

Some of the area codes being used are 473, 809, 876, 284 and 268.

Residents are encouraged to first research the area code online to see where it originates from before calling the number back.

Source:

3 comments:

The Public Eye said...

I received a 268-762-0027 over the weekend.... rang once luckily I'm not the curious kind

Anonymous said...

I received 2 last week . I blocked the number.

jmmb said...

Good idea anon 9:37. I'm not that curious either. I won't call any number back that shows up on caller I.D. if I don't recognize it.