Saturday, June 29, 2013

Remember Maryland's Move Over Law

Maryland’s Move Over Law

As more drivers use Maryland roads this summer it is important to
remember Maryland’s Move Over Law.

 The intent of Maryland’s ‘move over’ law is to provide an extra barrier of safety for police officers, firefighters, and emergency rescue personnel working along Maryland roads.

 Drivers approaching an emergency vehicle that is stopped, standing, or parked on a highway and using any visual signals, must move into the next lane away from the emergency vehicle.

If a lane change is not possible, the driver must slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe for the existing conditions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What exactly *IS* the law? The posted signs say to move over for emergency vehicles. Ambulances and fire trucks, etc. are definitely emergency vehicles but is a cop writing a speeding ticket an emergency vehicle?

Your friend,
Slim

The Public Eye said...

Slim; It was last October when the law took affect that ALL vehicles approaching a officer of the law while on the shoulder must move over.

Not sure of the law on emergency vehicles but I call on common sense for this one.

Anonymous said...

I've always moved into the far lane when I see someone pulled over by cops. It IS common sense and I'm the kind of person that takes precautions on my own because I'm not interested in causing trouble for myself or others.
I'm really shocked at the drivers who don't pull over when they see an oncoming emergency vehicle.