Saturday, June 9, 2012

Pocomoke Police Department Nearing Complete Move

Pocomoke City Police Department


Market Street Location


May 31, 2012

Just a little more time and the Pocomoke City Police Department will be opening in the new location on Market Street.

This building is quite different from the current police station on Second Street. From the first step inside the front door (or the back door if that seems to be your preference) the new facility is astounding! I've watched this building go from a body shop to the professional establisment that it is. I know how excited everyone is ..... including myself.


Photo above was taken in what will be the conference room. At the present time it is serving for the delivery of office furnitue.

The Pocomoke City Council alloted a certain amount of funds to be used to purchase new furniture and supplies. The monies have been used very wisely and Angel Thornes, the Executive Administrative Assistant for the Pocomoke City Police Dept., has done a grand job in her selection of office supplies, desks and chairs for the various offices. Angel has also been one of the many that have poured their heart and soul into this move. She deserves so much credit and on the day Councilman Malloy and I stopped by she took the time to give us the tour just to show us how much progress has been made.

I'm not going to tell everything I learned from Angel - I'm going to let the police department brag on their new facility. The most amazing room in the new station? The radio room. The department has bigger screens that produce larger images making it easier to see what cameras in various parts of town send. Because of the location of the new police department radio transmissions will be clearer. One of the images will be of the bay area located in the back of the station. The dispatcher will be able to view the officer as he approaches. With the touch of a button - just like a garage door opener- the doors open in the back of the building, freeing the time an officer would have to spend fumbling for keys to unlock the doork, get back in his patrol car and pull into the garage..... a feature the police department has never had before.


My venture would never be complete without stopping by the current police department.
It's always a pleasure to see Chief Sewell and on this day met Officer Perkins. What a great person and true asset to the department.

I also need to say this. I've watched the new station become a reality. I've met some of the most wonderful people in the past few months. These are good, hard working men. I've seen them hanging from metal beams, walking on stilts, crawling on their knees.....never complaining. I've been locked in a cell, tip toed around newly glued tiles and watched wax dry.

In the past months I've seen the changes in the Pocomoke City Police Department. Recently I had the occasion to meet more of the police officers. This IS a new and improved department! And based on what has been happening in Pocomoke City lately you can believe they "work well with others" .

Other agencies from Virginia, Worcester County Sheriff's Dept., Maryland State Police, Worcester County State's Attorney Beau Oglesby- (I've forgotten many) ALL fit into the equation of fighting crime together. And it shows!

My best to all of you. Keep up the good work!
And thankyou, Chief Sewell and Angel for all of you kindness in the past months.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that Councilman Malloy in the last photo? We have a lot of people who have worked hard and they deserve credit but I sincerely believe we would not be where we are today without Don Malloy's efforts.

jmmb said...

Yes, it is Councilman Malloy. And it is because of him that I am able to take the photos in the places that I have.

Anonymous said...

And also many thanks goes to you, jmmb and PPE for keeping everyone updated on the progress of not only the new police department but also the restaurant. The updates are welcome and interesting and your photos are very good.

jmmb said...

Thank you Anon 5:39 PM.
I have enjoyed every moment of it greatly. I am excited and anxious for everyone to see the reataurant and police station but will be a little disappointed when it all ends.

I have met some of the most wonderful people and have been able to spend time downtown - which I haven't done in years.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all of your kind words. I enjoy every minute of my job working along the side of Chief Sewell. The New Police Department is coming along great! By our grand opening we should be pretty much settled in. The Officers are very proud of their new department. It's exciting to be apart of the project from beginning to end. I hope to see everyone this Friday.


Angel Thornes
Executive Administrative Assistant
Office of Chief K Sewell
Pocomoke City Police

jmmb said...

Thank you Angel. I know that everyone is just going to be so surprised at how awesome the new headquarters looks! I can't wait for others to see the inside- in fact, I might get a little weepy. See you Friday!