Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Tradition Dies A Peaceful Death

Edgar Allan Poe
January 19, 1809 - October 7, 1849

A crowd gathered but the  'Poe Toaster' did not visit the grave of Poe last evening to leave the traditional rose and half-filled bottle of cognac.

According to historians the tradition began in the 1940's.  On the evening before  Poe's birthday a visitor dressed in black cape,  dark wide-brimmed hat and carrying a silver tipped cane paid visit to the deceased writer, toasted him, left the traditional gifts  and snuck back into the darkness.

In the 1990's the Poe Toaster left a note stating that he was passing the 'torch on to his sons'.  Since no 'Poe Toaster' has left a rose and cognac since Poe's 200th birthday in 2009 it is thought that perhaps the yearly tradition  ended on that birthday.

The only known photo
of "The Poe Toaster"
was captured
by a motion activated camera that was set
up in the cemetery in 1990
 Source: Life Magazine
Poe House and Museum curator Jeff Jerome said that during the evening there were  a few who came through the Westminster Hall and Burying Ground but he was able to identify them as impersonators because he and the mystery toaster had a secret signal verifying he was the authentic toaster. 

"I think it's obvious that this tribute is over with, and we should let it die a peaceful death. Anything similar to it is just a cheap imitation." - Jeff Jerome, Poe House Curator

Poe's birthday will always be celebrated and the Poe House will still
host readings of the writer's works.  Readings will be held tonight at 8:00 -

Tradition, nevermore.

....Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
`Sir,' said I, `or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you' - here I opened wide the door;
Darkness there, and nothing more....
 The Raven/ Edgar Allan Poe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to let it die a peaceful death. I wish we knew who these toasters were. I found this tradition to be so unique I just would love to know more about who started it.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh.....that's why it's so fascinating; nobody knows who the toaster was or who started it. To find out would relegate the mystery to the status of "yeah, been there, done that". I hope we never find out.

Your friend,
Slim

jmmb said...

Slim, I hope we never find out either. I do think it would have been exciting to stand and watch to see if the dark visitor arrived.

I've been to Westminster Hall and seen the grave of Poe. A beautiful, somber place to visit. If you've never been there I hope you can sometime.

Next time I get to visit I'd like to go on the birthday of Poe and stay for the Poe reading at Poe House.