Tuesday, February 22, 2011

From Virginia Senator Ralph Northam

General Assembly Update

With only one full week remaining in the 2011 General Assembly session, the House and Senate are working hard to complete action on the budget and other legislation. Several of my bills have passed both chambers and now await the Governors signature, including measures to ease access for our veterans to birth certificates and other vital records, promote growth in the aquaculture industry, and foster economic development associated with the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport at Wallops Island.

Most importantly to me, however, is the passage of SB966 which requires 150 minutes of physical education per week for children in kindergarten through eighth grade in our public schools. As a pediatrician, I see every day the toll that childhood obesity is taking on our young people. It is an epidemic that leads to a lifetime of health and financial hardships, and we need to take action to combat it. Rates of stroke, diabetes, and vascular disease in teens and young adults have increased at alarming rates over the past 20 years, and fully one third of US children are now overweight or obese.

While my bill will not by any means eradicate childhood obesity, it is an important tool, and will not, as some have claimed, impose an undue hardship on our local schools. While I fully understand that SOLs and other requirements tax our teachers, finding 30 minutes or so per day for children to exercise and learn about the value of physical fitness is critical to their development. Active children are proven to be healthier, not just physically, but mentally as well. A sound body and sound mind reinforce each other, and having mandatory PE will improve kids' focus and performance in the classroom.

Although SB966 has passed both the Senate and the House of Delegates, it still must be signed into law by Governor McDonnell. I met with the Governor this week, and I know he understands the importance of taking steps to fight obesity. I also know he will be pressed to amend or veto the bill by those who argue that our schools dont have time to do this; I would counter that our children dont have time not to.

Thanks to all of you who have contacted me to share your thoughts on various bills throughout the session. I'll be here for one more week, and if youd like to get in touch please call us at (804) 698-7506, or send an email to Senator@RalphNortham.com. If I am not available, my legislative assistant, Matt Strickler will be happy to help.

No comments: