Saturday, January 30, 2010

Great Job Pocomoke and Worcester County!!

In a post below I mentioned that I would be out and about helping people that may be stuck, slid of the road, stranded etcetera.

We were out for hours and obviously most people remained off the roads. During the worst part of the storm the Pocomoke City Public Works crew were in full force clearing the roads, at that time the snow was falling at such a rate that by the time they plowed a street from one end to the other the snow would cover it again yet the Pocomoke crew kept the roads passable and as safe to travel as humanly possible.

I traveled most roads from the Virginia line to Salisbury, The highway, and many secondary roads. In my travels it was plain to see that Maryland had every piece of equipment they had trying to keep the roads as safe as possible.

Worcester county roads were by far the best, cruising the Pocomoke forest it was very clear when I entered Somerset and Wicomico counties as their roads were covered in snow. Worcester county's Whitesburg road (Old Pocomoke Rd.) was completely clear of any snow they had a grader clearing the Pocomoke forest roads while Somerset's Dividing Creek road was a complete mess along with other Somerset roads. Accomack county had not touched their secondary roads and the highway in Va was just so-so.

As for the Cities, Pocomoke was by-far the best cleared and the safest, most were completely passable, Pocomoke had the only town that cleared a path for two lanes. Fruitland was probably the worst.

Great job Pocomoke and Worcester county.

4 comments:

jmmb said...

I know about Rt. 13 in Virginia. Snow plows were out 3 at a time but the snow was falling so fast it was impossible to see or even plow fast enough to keep it off the highway.

As for the roads back here it will be a few more hours before we see a snow plow. If ever. The snow has drifted so deep that some residents back here will get restless and "plow" themselve out of here.

Best thing to do on Sunday is stay put.

Anonymous said...

This snow sure came as a surprise to everyone. Geez, if I had known I would have gone to the store. We have plenty to eat, but are lacking in the snack category!

Around 3pm I decided I'd better take a walk to the shed and get the snow shovel. I'm glad I did, because by 7pm the snow was higher than my boots.

Anonymous said...

PPE, I know this is off topic, but what's up with the word verification to leave comment?

I hate word verification. First of all it should be called letter verification as it's just randomly arranged letters and not words at all.

The Public Eye said...

11:41:00 AM

we were getting too many spammers