Sunday, November 8, 2009

Northwestern "Blackface" Costumes Inspire Protest

Blackface shows up so frequently these days, you'd think it's become a contemptible fad. Recently, this Jim Crow relic has been spotted in cartoons on high fashion pages, 'Mad Men' and 'Tyra.' Who can keep track?


So is it any wonder that two white Northwestern University student athletes would jump at the chance to hop on this trend by donning blackface as Halloween costumes? Click here to see photos.

One of the students involved in the incident reportedly dressed as Bob Marley, painting his entire body black and wearing a shirt with the word "Jamaica." The second student dressed as a black woman with a tennis racket.

Both are believed to be student-athletes, according to the Daily Northwestern.
Student reactions have been mixed, with some suggesting the campus culture allows insensitivity because of the low-minority population. Source: Northwestern Blackface Costumes Inspire Protest - NBC Chicago

What were these crazy kids thinking? Or not thinking? Who knows. But I see a big double standard here. Celebrities seem to get away with offensive behavior, while the regular Joes get the "racial insensitivity" hammer dropped right on their head. I'm not defending ignorance, but I think your proximity to celebrity shouldn't get you a pass on proper behavior.

And while I'm on this subject, is it just here in Los Angeles or did you notice more white folks than usual sporting huge Afro wigs on Halloween night? At first I was a little peeved, then just confused. I don't understand it. I'd be cool if white women (and men) chose to adorn themselves in Afros as a preferred style in everyday life, much like many black women wear straight wigs or weaves. What does it mean, though, to adorn hair mimicking my natural texture as a "hilarious" costume?

After all, I can say without hesitation that I have never, ever, considered leaving the house looking like an escapee from the cast of the Wayans' 'White Chicks.' Can't see it.

But if I did don a blond wig, paint my skin white, call myself Becky and repeat stereotypical Valley girl phrases such as "omigawd" or "that is sooo awwwsumm" how would white people I passed on the street respond?

And if they were offended, should I feel entitled to tell them to just "lighten up" or "get a sense of humor"?

Source

1 comment:

jmmb said...

Todd,
Thankyou for your comment. I glanced through your website because I, myself, could never understand the sensitivity towards the blackface.

Some of the most expensive collectables today are of American black folk art.

And I can remember being a young child in the 60's and seeing my father participating in a few Minstrel shows in our community. There was no harm done. It was simply an evening of clean enjoyment for the family.

But sadly, with the world as it is today, a revived Minstrel show would surely bring on an attack from special interest groups.

You bring about some very good points. I think we all need to lighten up!