Thursday, August 13, 2009

Try A Little Kindness Tommorrow


My daughter has lived in Baltimore for many years now and works for a large medical facility

there that sees hundreds of patients per week I am sure. She finds it amazing when patients

come in and recognize that she is from the Eastern Shore. How? The accent. And we

don't even realise it. The ones that recognize it are the patients from the good old Eastern

Shore. Talking to them about things "down home" makes her not miss home so much and I am

sure puts the patients' worries about themselves at ease for a while.

In a world like today, when things seem to be spinning out of control, people

don't seem to care about each other, except with criticism, and there is no kindness

from anyone somedays, there is the exception.

My daughter called me today to tell me that a patient from the Eastern Shore

had been in and asked her, "when was the last time you read one of these?".

She looked at it and responded, "Not since I last saw my mom." He had

handed her a simple thing as the Daily Times. Something from the good old

Eastern Shore! Though this person is ill, traveled

hours away, he thought enough about someone else and did a simple act of

kindness.

Simple as that! Kindness. Nice word and the results of its actions are

rewarding. Try it tommorrow. Then try it the next day. You might be

surprised if in return someone is nice to you.

The world isn't a bad place all the time. And the world isn't filled with rainbows and

pleasant sunshine everyday. But if everyone practiced kindness at least once a

day, every day, it might seem like it...........if only for a little while.

Kindness, like a boomerang, always returns. ~Author Unknown

2 comments:

The Public Eye said...

that's nice...

when the wife and I were able to travel she had to do the talking when we got out of Maryland, If I tried to talk, all I got was "huh? what, hmm?"

they would say I just can't understand you, I guess I have a heavy ES accent and I worked on the water for many years also and that doesn't help.

Another thing is I didn't know we had our own language until I found and bought an estern shore dictionary.

When I read that I couldn't believe it, I knew the definition of ever word and I use 99.9% of the words in my normal everyday conversation.

I began to understand at that point why people couldn't understand me, I was speaking another language to them.

I had a woman from new york once tell me that it was hard for her to understand ES men, but I was the worst she ever encountered. LOL

I guess she never met a Tangierman (tangerine)

jmmb said...

Thankyou.
Though she tries to be articulate when speaking the shore accent comes out. And when she is home visiting I am amazed that she hasn't lost it.