Friday, May 29, 2009

ACCOMACK: Men hospitalized after shooting near Temperanceville

Two men were shot Thursday afternoon during an altercation at Makemie Monument Park, a public area near here dedicated to the founder of Presbyterianism in the United States.

The victims sustained gunshot wounds to the body and were taken by Oak Hall Rescue to a medical facility where one victim was listed in stable condition as the other was treated and released, Accomack County Sheriff Larry Giddens said.

Giddens said on Thursday at 6:01 p.m., his office received a report from the Eastern Shore 911 Center regarding two men at the Temperanceville Corner Mart who had been shot.


Further investigation revealed that the shooting victims were involved in a fight at the Makemie Monument and were taken by personal vehicles to the convenience store.


Giddens said deputies and investigators spent hours processing the scene, collecting evidence, and conducting interviews. The investigation is continuing.


The Accomack County Sheriff’s Office was assisted by the Virginia State Police and the Hallwood Police Department.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happened May 21st. I happen to live quite close to the MaKemie Monument and pass by there just about every day.This type of behavior does not surprise me.

After great strides were taken to beautify the area and move the Makemie statue back to the area the area is not and I repeat IS NOT a safe place.

It is an ideal place to fish, have a picnic or just sit and read. BUT the drug addicts (like everything else) have taken it over.

I heard all of this over my scanner. The police were told where they might possibly find the car they were looking for but it was no until an hour or more they went to check. We in this area have no idea if anyone has been arrested for this. Not a nice feeling...........

This angers me a great deal. I appreciate your posting it.
We have a wonderful sheriffs dept. here but sometimes I just wonder.................

jmmb

The Public Eye said...

Yes I agree, It's a beautiful place back there. The times I have driven there it was quiet and peaceful. The last time I was there I could tell what was beginning to happen with the trash and things being damaged.

It looked to me like they were even shooting up the place. What a shame that people have no respect for such a beautiful place and what it represents.

Anonymous said...

You are probsbly right! I might ride back there today just for s****and giggles. Since I haven't been there in a while I'll take my camera. I need a pic of the MaKemie statue anyway.

jmmb

The Public Eye said...

I don't know if they fixed it or not, but they had actually shot up the statue pretty good the last time I was back there. I was there about a year or so ago.

If you live over that way I relatives in Sanford I'm sure you know.